Friday 13 February 2009

Apples, oats and greedy dogs

After making Nixdminx’s Grandma’s Cheese Flapjacks a couple of days ago and not eating a single digestive biscuit since then, not to mention having considerably more energy, I thought I would have a go at adapting them to make a sweet version, to satisfy any sweet cravings.

This is what I came up with (my quantities are fairly haphazard as I tend to just throw ingredients in, without measuring):

2 cups of porridge oats
1 grated apple
1 grated (or mashed, if it’s quite ripe) banana
1 cup of dried fruit (I used sultanas, cranberries and goji berries)
Sprinkle of cinammon
1 tablespoon of melted butter
2 eggs

Mix everything together and push into a greased swiss roll tin, spreading as evenly as you can. Bake at 175 C for 25 minutes.

Cut into squares/rectangles/whatever as soon as it’s out of the oven, then leave to cool for half an hour before removing from the tin with a flat spatula or similar.

They were delicious. They were really sweet, without having any added sugar or syrup or anything. They were a bit cake-like, so I might change the quantities a bit next time to make them crunchier. I might also see if they work without the butter – to make them even better for keeping slim!

I loved them. C loved them. R didn’t have a chance to try them, because apparently the dog also loved them and finished the lot when someone (not entirely sure whether it was me or C, so I will assume it was him!) left the kitchen door open and someone (me, unfortunately) didn’t put them away in a tin as soon as they were cooled.

I will be making them again tomorrow.

Thank you Nixdminx for the inspiration – and for the lovely cheesy flapjacks, which are helping considerably in keeping me good.

4 comments:

  1. You superstar - that's inspired cooking AND you got those goji berries in there! Nice one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that - I'm going to try them. I'm a recent goji berry convert

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a true domestic goddess, and you have put me to shame :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nixdminx: I may become a baking mum, yet. Especially if you keep posting lovely recipes.

    HOM: I actually have no idea what goji berries are supposed to do, just they're one of these miracle foods that people keep talking about. Think I shall go google them now!

    MTJAM: I'm really not. I shall take photos of the dog hair clumps that speckle the stairs, to prove it.

    ReplyDelete